[CQ-Contest] Today's Radios

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Today's Radios
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Thu Feb 1 13:23:59 2001

Just done with the 160 contest this past weekend at W8JI.  Tom has
gradually upgraded his station to the finest receivers and the
cleanest transmitters we can find.  We had 4 Drake R4C's and 2 T4XC's.  On
the low bands, I will argue that this is still the finest radio you can
buy.

I've also been trying to find a mint TS-830 for my collection of old
radios.  In the process, I've managed to stock pile 3 of them which didn't
quite fit my requirements for cosmetics.  However, I've been using these
radios from home and find them to be as good or superior to my FT1000MP.

I've decided that for this year's WPX contest I'm going to shelf the
FT1000MP's and use two of these 830's.  I want to confirm my theory that
these receivers are as good as anything made today.

Oh, one more comment... I think the little Elecraft K2 is supposed to be
as fine as any of the expensive radios for receiver performance.  This is
at least what I have been hearing through the grape vine.

At the very least, if you are trying to contest on a tight budget, you
definately have options.  I bought these 830's for around $400.00.

73

Bill Fisher, W4AN