[CQ-Contest] Multi-Single - How?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Multi-Single - How?
From: n5nj@gte.net (Bob Naumann - N5NJ)
Date: Sat Feb 3 11:58:55 2001
Marty,

Multi-Single can be a lot of fun, but in CQWW and ARRL, the rules
governing how that second station is used are significantly different.

In CQWW, the second or 'Mult' station can work multipliers on other
bands pretty much at will(changing bands every 10 minutes) without
interrupting the 'Run' station.  The Mult station, in compliance with
the 10 minute rule, can work new multipliers constantly.

In ARRL, what used to be called "the ten minute rule" or now, "six
band changes per hour" is controlling what you do with the 'Mult'
station.  Also, when you do decide to change bands, the 'Run' station
must stop transmitting while the Mult Station transmits and completes
it's QSO.  Having two radios is only an advantage because you can
listen on the second radio.

For example, the Run station is running on 20m.  You know there are
several multipliers on 15m.  In CQ, the Mult station can go to 15m (if
he has not changed bands in the last 10 minutes), and work them
without altering or interrupting the Run stations' operation.  In
ARRL, the Run station must stop running, the Mult station can then
begin to work the mults on 15m (band change #1) and when done, the Run
station can resume running on 20m (band change #2).  Resuming the run
on 20 assumes that he has not lost his frequency etc.

If you want to use two radios in ARRL, and Multi-Single seems a little
too complicated, you may wish to consider Multi-Two.  This allows two
transmitters on the air on two bands (running) at the same time.  This
is a very competitive category but might be more fun.

Read the rules carefully for all the details of how each works.

73,
Bob

Robert E. Naumann
N5NJ / V26O