[CQ-Contest] Single op NOT assisted

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Single op NOT assisted
From: kq2m@mags.net (Robert Shohet)
Date: Tue Feb 27 23:32:58 2001
It has been quite interesting to read all the opinions on this subject, and
to see how each person picks his own "nits" and split hairs according to his
own biases and self-interest.

I for one DO NOT see any difference between using the internet, or radio, or
TV for information that is NOT used to solicit contacts.
Watching an auroral map is no different than looking at the Weather channel
to see when the T-storm (or blizzard) is coming or to watch a late-night
movie to stay awake when cndx suck.

For those purists out there, if you are going to eliminate one, then you
must eliminate ALL forms of aid. That means:

NO TV
NO RADIO
NO INTERNET
NO VERBAL COMMUNICATION WITH ANYONE ELSE (including spouse and children and
visitors)
NO SUNLIGHT
NO HEAT
NO RUNNING WATER
NO TOILET
NO COMPUTER
NO LOGGING PROGRAM
NO GEOCLOCK
NO BEAM HEADINGS
NO CHECK PARTIAL
NO MICROWAVE
NO ELECTRONIC BANDSWITCHING

Oh, and of course, you know those Japanese companies that built your radio?
well that is ALSO a form of assistance, because only a few of us would be
able to build and use them if we couldn't buy them.  So that means:

NO FACTORY BOUGHT RADIOS OR ANTENNAS OR AMPS OR EQUIPMENT OR CABLES OF ANY
KIND
NO OPERATING CHAIRS (unless you build it yourself)

I have left out a few, but you get the point.  Anything can be taken to
absurd levels.

Why can't we have simple agreement on the point that we  ALL use and benefit
by technology and you can't outlaw one type without being logically
inconsistent about all the other types that we ALL employ in EVERY station
in EVERY contest.

Show me something you bought and use in your station and I will show you a
form of "assistance".

I think the contest rules are pretty clear.  They refer to assistance by
other people and stations with spotting and solicitation of contacts and
help with operating the station.  That's it!

I have little doubt that if the contest committees, after reflection, feel
that some of the above-mentioned categories constitute assistance as well,
they will expressly forbid their use.

Now can we please get back to thinking about operating strategy and reading
.brk sheets and .all files or will that be considered "assistance" too?

73

Bob KQ2M