[CQ-Contest] Key Clicks?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Key Clicks?
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Wed Mar 7 21:48:51 2001
Bill,  you wrote...

 >As an owner of a ICOM 746 with INRAD CW filters for a second radio , I can
 >tell you mine hears what appears to be key clicks on ANY strong CW signal.
 >I attenuate the signal by 10 or 15 dB and that "cures" the problem.
 >Furthermore, I've noticed that a signal with clicks can be "cleaned up" if
 >another strong signal appears just below the nose of the I.F filter.  I
 >suspect the AGC is reducing the gain and this results in what suddenly
 >appears to be a clean signal where before there was clicks.

If the offending station is CW, and the "strong signal" is also CW, then the
clicks would appear on some bits but not others.  That is not the case here.
Many sigs have clicks that are many kHz away.

I have a 746 and listen with interest to multiple signals that run 20-30
over S9 and are clean as a whistle.  I listen to other "offenders" running a
mear S8 or S9 and there are clicks all over the place--attenuators in or
out--many kHz away.  I have a friend running a Kenwood rig and we talk on 2
meters all the time.  He confirms what the apparently defective design of
the 746 also illustrates--CLICKS!

To blame the receiver is a simple way of saying "it's not my problem."  To
label the empirical results posted earlier as flawed simply because they
were on a 746 is a joke.  Although I wish he had also listed the S meter
readings and the status of the preamp/attenuator controls, the basic thesis
presented warrants investigation, contrary to your defensive posting.

If an owner of the FT1000X wants to take the time to actually measure their
output, as many postings to this reflector have admitted, they will see that
their signals actually are MALICIOUS INTERFERENCE during any period, not
just contest periods.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.om