[CQ-Contest] I can feel the heat! Fwoosh!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] I can feel the heat! Fwoosh!
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue Apr 3 10:44:50 2001
On 3/30/01 7:46 AM, K3BU@aol.com at K3BU@aol.com wrote:

 >Time to turn the packet off during the contests, it is nothing but trouble,
 >are we competing who can hit "go get'em packet key" faster or who is the
 >better hunter without any crutches. Let's do it now before it is too late.

Yuri,

I think dismissing packet in this way misses part of the point.

Allowing packet brings in a whole cadre of operators who might otherwise
not be involved in the contest at all. This group is mostly DXers who
support the spotting networks. They get on for a few hours, try to work
some of the DX spotted, perhaps to improve their band totals, and maybe
turn in a score for a club.

Outlaw packet, and a lot of these guys won't get on the air during a
contest. It isn't so much about score, but fun. Casually operating a
contest with packet assistance is fun. At least, for some it is.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901