[CQ-Contest] ionospheric absorption not heating

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ionospheric absorption not heating
From: spa@tri.net (spa)
Date: Thu Apr 5 09:34:44 2001

I agree fully.  From my temporary hilltop location, Eu opens here in Kansas
an hour
earlier than from my home 3 miles and 400 ft lower away.  I have had KL7
reply to my
call with "Didn't know the band was open there yet".  Sat a year ago
listening to a
Korean call CQ on an open frequency on 15 with no takers for at least 10
minutes in a
major contest, answered by first call.  A bit later he was overwhelmed as
the band
opened more.  My guess is that when angles of radiation match the
propagation things
really happen.  In a contest there are just more stations finding those
multiple
anomalies.

N0UU

 > A possibly related phenomenon:
 > These are relatively weak signals that appear as the only signals on the
 > band when the bands are closed or closing. In many cases these signals are
 > from quite modest stations, frequently using ground plane antennas.
 > My interpretation is that these stations have some significant very low
 > angle radiation which gets through under these conditions. When the band
 > opens up a little the stations with beams at good height are much stronger.
 > I was stuck with modest elevated ground plane type antennas on hf for years
 > and had the impression that they were quite good when bands were marginal
 > but a bit pathetic when the bands were open.
 > Comments?
 > 73
 >
 > end
 > Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
 > Signal Hill Homestay
 > 66 Cory Road
 > Palm Beach
 > Waiheke Island 1240
 > NEW ZEALAND
 > www.waiheke.co.nz/signal.htm

Rauch it
 > can't be so? Maybe there are people who know something you don't know
yet Tom
 > :-)
 > Looks like fourth egg in the face coming up?
 >
 > You are so good with dBs and math and antennas. Here is the question.
 > What would be the real life, on the band (10m) difference between these two
 > antennas:
 >
 > 1. 4-square, bases at .5 m above salty ground, quarter wave radiators, each
 > having one 1/4 wave elevated radial going out on diagonal, sloping down to
 > abt 20 cm at the ground. Using Comtek hybrid phasing unit, beaming Europe.
 >
 > 2. 3 el. cubical quad on .4 wave boom, square configuration, boom half wave
 > up, also over salty ground, no baluns, dual polarization (3 dB loss?) also
 > beaming Europe.
 >
 > They are both presenting 50 ohm impedance and are fed with the same
 > rig/power. What would be the difference between those two antennas to
 > receiving stations in Europe? What does the modeling software and books say?
 > What is the reality, which antenna is better?
 >
 > BTW have you checked W4RNL studies on quads, dual log feeds? Not exactly
 > "folklore" Eh? And he didn't get to the benefit of combining Yagi and Quad
 > elements in the array yet. Have you changed your opinion on that stuff yet?
 >
 > Tom, you picking on wrong guy, I have not "learned" this stuff from the
books
 > and software, I have experienced it. You can too, it is repeatable. Try it
 > you might like it and learn something too.
 >
 > 73  Yuri, K3BU

 > From: "W1UK" <w1uk@earthlink.net>
 > Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Help - determine distance between to points
 >
 > This works pretty well: