[CQ-Contest] Re: Contest QSLing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Contest QSLing
From: w9wi@w9wi.com (Doug Smith W9WI)
Date: Fri May 4 23:47:39 2001
On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 11:46:07PM -0400, CQ Contest Digest wrote:
 > 2) The process exists already.  See www.eQSL.com

I do have one problem with eQSL.cc: as currently coded, it is unusably slow
if you have large numbers of pending QSLs.  I have approximately 400
waiting; I can confirm one but then it has to reload the remaining 400
before I can confirm another one.  That takes about 3 minutes over my dialup
connection.  I think the math works out to something like 10 hours for all
400 QSOs.  Not gonna happen.

I do think they're working on this.

(semi-active contesters: be sure to check your inbox *now*, while it's still
practical to keep it clear.  If you're *seriously* active, it's probably too
late.)
Quite simply, we *owe* our QSLs to those we work.

What proportion of those we work are serious contesters?  In most tests,
certainly less than half.  Many of the rest are calling only because they
need us for some award.  If it becomes known that contesters don't QSL (it's
already known to some extent...) we lose some of these callers.  A couple of
people have stated here that they go out of their way to not work stations
that don't QSL, and there seems to be some evidence to the effect that
they're carrying through on that threat - that some people really won't work
stations that don't QSL.

The Sunday blahs will be a lot worse if we're only working other contesters.
But if a contest QSO ceases to be of value to non-contesters, that's exactly
what's going to happen.

Besides, compared to the hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars we spend on
equipment every year, what's $100 or less for QSLing?
Electronic QSLing is an interesting idea that really does need to be
implemented.  I don't think we should necessarily consider it an "out" to
relieve us from the duty of sending cards.  Believe it or not, some of the
people we work (especially in DX locations) are not online.  Others simply
want to have those physical cards in hand.  (I have to admit I'm still
excited to receive a bureau shipment..)  Replying to physical cards is going
to be necessary for some time to come.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66