[CQ-Contest] WRTC selections

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC selections
From: n2nl@yahoo.com (David Mueller)
Date: Thu May 17 10:30:06 2001
     I've been quiet up to now about all these WRTC
discussions. 13 clubs have been asked to nominate the
10 contesters they see fit, 5 from each coast.  End of
story.
     Leave it up to those 13 clubs to decide who they
want to select.  If they want to do it by a ranking
system, then so be it.  If they want to look at the
contesting.com "resume's", so be it.
     It is IMPOSSIBLE to come up with a ranking system
that is truly accurate.  With all the variables -
conditions, propagation, categories, station size....I
don't know how you can do it.  It has been proven that
there are some major variables (LUCK) which take play
even in a WRTC setting where everything possible is
done to set an even playing field.
      Let the clubs nominate who they see fit to go.
 >From what I have seen, my club, the Florida Contest
Group, will probably end up nominating a mix of proven
winners with some younger "new blood".
      Perhaps a future WRTC host may make some changes
to the selection process, but I believe the Finns have
done a great job with the criteria they developed.
Lets vote for the 10 team captains, and go from there.
      I've been seriously dissapointed because although
this discussion is interresting and has merit, the
rest of the world (who are not in any way involved
with this discussion) may be looking on at us with
less than honorable feelings.
      As someone who is interrested in attending for
the first time, I can only speak for myself.  But if
I'm not fortunate to go as a competitor, I'll be
volunteering my services, so I will still have the
opportunity to participate in what I have heard is an
amazing event.  In the meantime, I'll continue
ENJOYING my HOBBY, participating in contests, because
after all, it's FUN!

73, Dave N2NL