[CQ-Contest] WRTC, PED, Pile-up Tapes

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC, PED, Pile-up Tapes
From: wl7ky@gci.net (Chris Hurlbut)
Date: Tue Jun 26 21:22:10 2001
K3ZO said:

PED is really as far as I am concerned strictly a CW speed test,
whereas the N0SS-type tape simulates real on-the-air receiving conditions
to a much greater extent.

KL9A says:

The N0SS pileup tapes are great, and are definitely a good thing to use to
get practice for on the air action.  However... they do not prepare anyone
for the insanity of a huge roaring pileup.  Try PED in the Auto Pileup mode.
(code 0 in the .ini file.)  The faster you work the stations, the bigger the
pileup gets.  It is much harder than real life because you can't work guys
on the edge, or tail enders.  It does help you pick through the QRM of those
really loud pesky (insert favorite EU country here) stations that won't stop
calling.  PED is far from being only a speed test.  You can also add in
noise, QRM, and fading... to simulate those really bad freqs or weird
conditions.  Usually though, when you have a huge pileup, guys are loud.  I
would probably be safe assuming that most stateside stations never get a
huge pileup.  But I know PED has helped me a LOT when those EU's go nuts
(over a KL9... weird I know).  If you're in a "high rate" area of the world,
or plan on going to one, I suggest trying out PED a few times in autopileup
mode.  You will be surprised how much it helps when you get to the real
thing.

-Chris KL9A
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a
kl9a@qsl.net