[CQ-Contest] CW Speeds in a contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW Speeds in a contest
From: wl7ky@gci.net (Chris Hurlbut)
Date: Wed Jan 2 00:39:13 2002
I'll QRS for someone if I don't have any other callers, and it "feels" like
it will be beneficial to slow down.  Sometimes you get the guys calling in
at 10 wpm who really don't care about the contest exchange.  Slowing down
for them does nothing but waste time.  Usually I just use my judgement.  If
I have a raging pileup, I'll crank it up to about 40wpm or more.  This
usually thins things out, and the rate goes way up.  BUT... and a big one at
that, is that a lot of DX stations (mults!) are not QRQ freaks.  Going fast
may make a possible mult just skip right on by you.  But if you're running a
large pileup, it's probably not worth it to slow down.  If I have decent
rate, but don't have a caller after every QSO, speeding up is probably a bad
idea.  Kind of off topic here, but during large pileups I want guys to send
their call once and ONLY once.  But sometimes I will take a few seconds to
listen to who is in my pileup.  Usually I pick out a whole bunch of partial
calls and "listen" for the weaker guys.  I can't count how many times this
has resulted in several mults I would have otherwise missed!

As for CW Speed, just use your judgement.  Running a pileup and milking a
band are totally different skills.  It all depends on conditions, and the
quality of ops that you are working.  I found that during WAE CW as soon as
I showed up on 15m, I could pretty much go as fast as I wanted and still
have 50 guys calling.  within 30 or 45 minutes, the pile was gone, and I had
to slow down to about 32 or 34 wpm.  When coming onto 10 meters on saturday
morning or afternoon, the stateside pileup is going to be really fast.
Crank it up.  Milking 20 meters... slow down to about 28 or 30.  Ragchewing,
35 to 50... depending on who you're talking to. :)

Contesting from the states is completely different from contesting in the
semi-DX QTH of Alaska.  I have found that I need to go slower to get answers
in the states.  During CQWW CW, milking the band between EU and JA was
almost more tedious than running Europe.  Working JA was more painful than
anything I've ever experienced.  :)

Go as fast as you want.  Anything under about 25 wpm is probably not going
to help you unless you're on a band like 160 or 80.  Even then going slow is
sometimes bad... I prefer guys going fast when they're weak!!  Going slow
when I say AGN AGN is only going to make it harder.

Sending 5NN at 45wpm is stupid.  It's more fun by hand anyway!

73, CU in ARRL RU and NAQP CW
-Chris KL9A
http://www.qsl.net/kl9a
kl9a@qsl.net