[CQ-Contest] re: ROTTEN OPERATING (aka CW Speed)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] re: ROTTEN OPERATING (aka CW Speed)
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com (W1HIJCW@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jan 3 22:32:34 2002
Eveing all,

Finally, I can't help but put my $.02 in ...

Tom's comment about "less visible" events vs. CQWW hit the crux of the issue.
But in addition to events, there are less visible times as well. When I've
done my best in tests like ARRL DX and IARU as an SO, I've found no lack of
contacts at 27 to 30 WPM, no matter what time in the contest it was. BUT,
come Sunday afternoon, or early Sunday AM (Pacific time), alternating CQ's at
24 and 18 WPM seemed to produce the most consistent results.

KC5AJX's comments are also well taken ... However, the "new guys" should also
keep in mind that pushing themselves to get up near 20 or 25 wpm really isn't
that hard. There's nothing wrong with listening through a couple of Q's from
a running station to be sure you have the call right, the expected serial
number, the full exchange, etc. Then jump in at a speed that you can send
ACCURATELY (and hopefully receive accurately). You'll be surprised at how
high your speed is after a couple of hours of such exercise!

73 de Bill, W1HIJ
(aka FO0SCH, FO8DX, and op at K6CBS)

-