[CQ-Contest] Proposed QST changes

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Proposed QST changes
From: baycock@HIWAAY.NET (Bill Aycock)
Date: Wed Jan 9 14:09:20 2002
Mr. Butler,
I have heard, (mostly on the internet) of certain changes in QST that are
being considered. The specific changes will have the effect of down-playing
the role of the Contesters, and the reporting of the pertinent activities,
in QST. I am not a regular or dedicated contester, but, I MUST enter my
protest at this further degradation of the role of QST in the activities of
many Hams

QST has been on a downward trend for some years. THere is no competent
Technical Editor (and the content shows it), the activities of the DXCC
have been abandoned, for all practical purposes, and this step, if taken,
may result in a sever backlash at the current direction of the League.

The Contesters, as a body, are probably one of the largest groups of
customers of QSTs major advertisers. This, alone, should be an alert to the
magazines management, and  would be, if they were really in touch with the
readership. THe average contester feels that he must have the best, and
latest, in order to compete. They dont, as a rule, habituate the used
market to any great extent. From my reading, there is a strong probability
that the proposed action will result in loud protests, both to the League,
and to their advertizers.

THere has been a trend, in recent years, of many contesters (and their
supporters) of relying on the Internet, and the many "reflectors", or
mailing lists, for information. This trend is there, partly because the QST
staff is creating a vacuum of information, and other means are growing, to
fullfill this lack of support.

In Sum, Mr. Butler- I ask your support in helping to stop the downward
tyrend in the quality of QST.

Bill Aycock- W4BSG ( First licensed- 1952)
-
Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
 Woodville, Alabama, US 35776
 (in the N.E. corner of the State)