[CQ-Contest] Quick Poll

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Quick Poll
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Thu Jan 10 18:56:46 2002
I hate to be a kurmudgeon, Jim, but if the League has to chose
between spending money on Washington lobbyist or printing
our scores in QST versus the web, I would rather have them
concentrate on what we really need them for - defending our
frequencies from competing interests in front of FCC, Congress,
and ITU. Pretty hard to contest if you don't have any bands
to operate on.

Heck I usually have already studied the contest results on the
members only website a month before the hardcopy arrives
in the mail anyway. The main thing is that ARRL continues to
support the contest desk (N1ND, et al) with the funding to do
log checking and publish the results and that the electronic
results are available to members at no additional charge (e.g.
you don't have to be an NCJ subscriber). I think they may
already do this, but results could be made available to
non-members after one or two months so as not to
discourage non-members who normally pick up the results at
the newstand from participating.

If ARRL can save some bucks by using a cheaper medium (e.g.
world wide web) to deliver the results, then that just more money
that they can take to Washington to compete with telecom giants
and the Homeowners Association of America, etc. If the money
saved is funnelled back into the contest desk, Dan can spend more
time doing detailed breakdown analysis off results instead of buying
stamps and paper. I think the painfully short writeups we have now
are driven by the limited page space allocated in QST. The web
doesn't really have this limitation. This would allow us to get back
to the days of long writeups with lots of pictures.

Mike, W4EF (aka Elmer Fudd)...............................