[CQ-Contest] QST -- Now is the Time to be Heard

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QST -- Now is the Time to be Heard
From: lee@dixieliner.com (Lee Hiers)
Date: Fri Jan 11 09:53:40 2002
On 11 Jan 2002, at 8:33, Pete Smith wrote:

> If you haven't already written to your ARRL Director on the question
> of contest content in QST, now is the time.

That's all well and good if your director actually cares about input.
 I sent my comments as soon as I heard these rumors, and specifically
asked for replies from the President, Dave Sumner, Mark Wilson, and
my Director.  I also sent a cc: to my Asst. Director as a matter of
courtesy.

The AD was the first to respond, then K1ZZ and K1RO, I have yet to
hear anything from the President (which doesn't surprise me...last
time all I got from him was a rah-rah, "we're looking into it" form
letter) nor from my Director.  This doesn't surprise me either, as he
stopped corresponding with me on the code issue right in the middle
of discussions.  To me it appeared that discussing it with me was
taking too much of his valuable time since we did not agree on the
subject.  My call is apparently in some kind of killfile.

I'll tell you this, I've written my congressman on several issues
with which he and I held differing viewpoints, and I've never failed
to get a written response from him.  I understand he has staff to
handle a lot of that stuff for him, but then his constituency is
considerably larger as well.

Does anyone remember when the League started publishing NCJ?  As I
recall, there were a lot of concerns that they would shift contest
coverage from QST to NCJ at that time, but we were assured (?) that
would not happen.

> The Board will meet at the end of next week (January 18-19), and
> the decision will most likely be made then.

I feel the decision has already been made.  But it couldn't hurt to
make some noise.  The squeaky wheel and all that...but the more I
observe the League, the more pessimistic I become.

> W0CP is the A&F Committee Chairman.

Isn't that ironic?

73 de Lee

--