[CQ-Contest] Rate meter...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rate meter...
From: k1ttt@arrl.net (David Robbins)
Date: Mon Jan 21 19:56:48 2002
 > As you reduce the duration of the period over which
 > you calculate the average, come closer to the reporting
 > the instantaneous rate, which will always be higher than
 > the average rate.

The instantaneous rate will fluctuate above and below the average.  That
is why the average is the average.

There is also the method used by ct that I think has been ignored, that
is calculating the time taken to make the last N contacts and converting
that to a rate.  The one disadvantage to this is it takes N contacts
before the calculation can be done, and it you take a break it takes N
contacts after the break for the rate to be valid again... but that
could be a problem with any averaging technique that doesn't recognize
off times.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net