[CQ-Contest] Publishing the Contest Book

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Publishing the Contest Book
From: k1ir@designet.com (Jim Idelson)
Date: Thu Jan 24 08:09:26 2002
I suggest the following publishing approach:

1.  Think of it as a loose-leaf binder, with a set of index tabs supplied
2.  Plan on each article being a stand-alone piece that can be inserted into
the binder in the right place.
3.  Define a standard layout format for all articles.
4.  Produce it in the form of PDF files.
5.  Make it all downloadable in individual files, subject groups, or the whole
thing in one archive file.
6.  Include a file that contains the front matter and chapter title pages, etc.
7.  Use some form of revision control to help people know that they've got the
latest versions of all the articles.
8.  For the un-webified among us, somebody can sell printed copies - in the
binder - as an extra service at low cost.

Why?
1.  Allows reading on-line or in printed form.
2.  Permits faster TTM.
3.  PDF can't be edited, and permits protection of writers' copyrights.
4.  Eliminates several middle-men; permits cheapest possible publication cost.

Is somebody going to try to make money on this, or is it a gratis service we
are offering to the contest community? I support the pro bono approach. As a
contest club president, I would like to be able to hand this out as part of a
new member welcome package, and use parts of it as marketing material when we
go visit non-contest clubs and non-hams to recruit potential contesters.

This is a great idea. Hope the momentum continues.

73,

Jim K1IR