[CQ-Contest] More contest book thoughts...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] More contest book thoughts...
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Thu Jan 24 20:16:21 2002
Some questions I've been asked over the years about
contesting.  Some have been answered in a variety of
publications.  Nothing answers them all in a single
spot.  Perhaps we need an "All About Radio Contesting"
book, rather than a "step 1,2,3".

- What is the purpose of contesting?
- Can a beginner have fun in a contest?
- Do I need lots of equipment/good location to participate?  To do well?
- Do I have to know morse code to participate?
- I don't have a lot of time for contests.  Are there any short-duration
  contests?
- Can I make new friends through contesting?  How?
- Is there a contesting "community" outside of contests on the radio?
- I'm xxx years old.  Are there other people my age participating on
  contests?
- I like (insert favorite ham activity - such as chasing DX, Awards, QRP,
  QSLs, RTTY, VHF, etc). Is there a contest I can participate in that
  supports this other activity?
- What do I get if I win the contest, and what does it mean to "win"?
- Can I compete with someone in a far-off place?  against someone
  locally?
- Are their special-interest ham clubs for contest operators?
- What contests should I try first, before getting into a big one, or
  should I jump right in?
- How do contest operators (contesters) use computers?
- Why do contesters like like contesting?

73,

Gerry, W1VE