[CQ-Contest] Emergency Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Emergency Contest
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Fri Jan 25 10:55:54 2002
Chuck wrote:

>The only major difference is that instead of competing
>against another station.. you are competing against 'The
>Bastard' who is attempting ot disrupt, distort, and confuse
>things. The skill sets are directly transferable.

>In emergencies you need to be able to transmit info clearly
>and accurately the first time (what contester hasn't
>learned to use techniques to get the call and exchange
>through the first time before the hordes descend?)

>I could go on.. but you get the point I am trying to make.

>73

>Chuck K3FT

I agree.  The two notions of contest and emergency are a
natural blend of skills.  What's nifty is that it brings two great elements
of ham radio together in a single effort for the common good.

I envision a contest where the contester is on HF hammering
Qs at 4 a minute (try to get that going on VHF for more than 3 minutes).
The local ARES folks, VHF types, grab the log from time-to-time and
figure out how to get it to headquarters.  The HF guy never stops running.
It would take teamwork, organization, and effort of several to keep the
log growing.

When the traffic on VHF drops, the ARES guys jump on 2m and tell you "we
need your log.  We got dead air on 146.43..."  Then you've got to stop,
transfer the
log on VHF, and find a new spot to run on HF (5 minutes of dead air and your
spot will be gone).  Points for the Qs, the transfer, and the relay, all go
to your section's totals.  Teamwork like no other contest.  Teamwork like a
real emergency.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com