[CQ-Contest] Sony TFT LCD Monitor SDM M81 blackened by RFI

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sony TFT LCD Monitor SDM M81 blackened by RFI
From: barry@mxg.com (Barry Merrill)
Date: Sun Jan 27 14:01:33 2002
In the CQ 160 Test this weekend, I discovered
that RFI could blacken the screen of my new
"SONY TFT LCD Color Computer Display SDM M81".

There were no problem on all other bands, but on 160,
where I disconnect the shield of the 80 dipole's coax
at the antenna switch in the (second floor) shack,
even with SWR from only 1.2 at 1800 to 2.7 at 1855,
whenever I used 800 watts and a 22-wpm dash (or 1100
watts and a dot) of the Alpha, the Sony Monitor blacked
out instantaneously, and then remained black for three
more seconds after key up, before snapping back to life.

The monitor was directly adjacent and close to the Alpha,
but moving it 3 feet away did not change the problem,
so I presume the RFI is getting in thru the cable,
which I'll try to relocate and/or rf-choke thru a toroid.

Fortunately, I discovered that 3 seconds is exactly how
long it takes you to type in my call, see that I'm not a
dupe, hit F2, and for your keyer to get to the State
part of your exchange, so I was able to see to type just
when I need to!

Barry, W5GN

Herbert W. Barry Merrill, PhD
President-Programmer