[CQ-Contest] SB-220 Switching help

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SB-220 Switching help
From: W8JI@akorn.net (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon Jan 28 20:29:28 2002
> Can any of you tell me how much current the SB-220 t/r relay draws ?
>
> I know it's a 120v device, but need to know it's current draw.

It's been a few years since I designed for Heath, but as I recall that
relay system sourced about 20 mA when pulled low.  The problem
is the voltage is high, and that voltage charges bypass capacitors,
because of that, the pulse current can be quite high. In the
neighborhood of a half ampere or more!  Upon release, the back
EMF can be a few hundred volts or more.

It was designed when most rigs had 5 ampere or larger 120 volt
relay contacts to switch external PA's!

I'd buffer the relay line with an isolation device before connecting it
to any modern radio!
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com