[CQ-Contest] Re: Sprint musings

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Sprint musings
From: n0ss@earthlink.net (Tom Hammond NØSS)
Date: Mon Feb 11 09:00:29 2002
Doug, et al:

> > From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
> > I think we need a convention for indicating the need for a fill,
> > particularly when you're the station leaving the frequency.  People seem to
> > get more and more impatient about dumping their calls, and I anticipate
> > losing several QSOs because I never could attract the station's attention.
>
>I too found this frustrating.  I thought it important to, when preparing to
>call a station finishing a QSO, wait for the guy he was working to QSL his
>exchange.  But at least 35-40% of the time, you do that and you get beaten.

It's even more difficult for QRP/Vy LP stations, but that's OUR problem...
part of the penalty paid for not using QRO. In most instances, there's
essentially NO change we'll ever be able to get the attention of the other
station once we end our exchange, so we'd best ensure that we have it
correct on the first pass.

>The Sprint exchange is already unusual in requiring transmission of both
>callsigns.  Maybe we need to provide that stations must also exchange
>"R" or "QSL" or some other confirmation that the exchange was received?

Good thought, but I doubt it'll make ANY difference at all to those just
sitting there, waiting to pounce the instant we complete the 'normal'
exchange. Too much testosterone up there in the ether.

>I did, however, note an alarming number of CW ops transmitting without
>listening first.  I was running full QSK (with 1kw output).  When, during my
>CQ, I hear a 20-over-S9 signal, on 80 meters, launch a CQ of his own
>zero-beat to my signal, I know darned well he didn't listen to the frequency
>before plunking the keyboard.  And when he keeps on CQing for 3-4-5 CQs, I'm
>pretty confident it wasn't "wrong-radio confusion".  This was not just one
>or two operators.

Hope that wasn't me... TWICE, I realized I was either CALLING a station, or
calling "CQ" with my RIT turned ON and set about 2 kHz OFF my TX freq.
Sorry guys.

>In Sprint, with no "run frequency" to defend, this doesn't bother me much.
>If the "victim" is a non-contester though, this kind of behavior can really
>harm our pursuit.  Even in Sprint, you NEED TO LISTEN TO THE FREQUENCY
>BEFORE YOU TRANSMIT!

Agreed.

72,

Tom  N0SS