[CQ-Contest] Real hams don't XXX.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Real hams don't XXX.
From: kr6x@kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Thu Feb 21 22:14:12 2002
I'd hope that you weren't suggesting that the group of multi
operations
that ran without packet this last contest were somehow violating the
spirit that you've expressed below.  In none of the postings from
N2RM operators, etc., did I hear anything like "real hams don't...".
Instead, I heard "it would be fun to do this" repeated widely.

But perhaps I've overlooked some of the posts.  Did anyone say
that someone who uses packet should be excluded from multi-multi
competition in the ARRL contests?  To read the K2AV post you
might think that he thought it unsightly when one big multi operation
used Drake C-lines (old tube-type  rigs) exclusively -- just for fun.
Does K2AV vote to exclude all forms of paper logging or semi-
automatic keys from the contesting world?

I must admit -- I have something of a kindred spirit with those who
started the thread.  I don't find that the packet capability increases
my fun level in contests.  Neither do I find that extensive multiplier
passing at multi-multi stations satisfies my contesting needs.  I'd
have to admit that a really loud multi-multi station using packet
wisely and doing a lot of multiplier passing would outscore the
same station without these techniques.

But, as in the case of single operator class competition, when at a
multi station I'd have more fun if I were competing in a class that
excluded these techniques.  So I can quite well understand the
thread.  You see, these packetless operations did quite well
competitively.  Perhaps we've been a little shortsighted (as
members of the contesting community) not to work for creation
of packetless multi classes...