[CQ-Contest] W/VEs spotting W/VEs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] W/VEs spotting W/VEs
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III - K5TR)
Date: Fri Feb 22 07:06:50 2002
On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 06:25:33AM -0800, Jeffrey Clarke wrote:

> K8CC wrote :
>
>  This past weekend I noticed W/VE stations (actually, Ws for the most
> part) spotting other W/VE stations over the DX spotting system.  (I'm
> not talking about K4MA, who I know was in 8P but spotting people under
> his call.) While I suppose there could be legitimate reasons for this,
> like spotting some rare W/VE state/province, I hardly think IL or PA
> falls into that category.  Since in almost every case, the station
> doing the spotting was in the same call area as the station being
> spotting, it would appear instead that these were attempts to attract
> DX stations to the frequency of these particular W/VEs.

>  What's with the "negative" responses to Dave's concern about packet??
> Every real contester knows that it is in the sprit of the rules that
> stations should not self-spot themselves.

Right.

 I think the same can be said
> that those who spot their friends falls in the same category. There are
> enought real DX spots going across the packet screen to have these
> "garbage" spots cluttering up everything.

But he did not say that - he kinda danced around the issue.

Why not just say it?

Something like:

"It appeared to me that many of the USA spots were done by
club members or close friends or maybe even relatives of
the spotted callsign.  Does anyone else think this is
getting out of hand?"

As far as garbage spots - that is very subjective.

If you dont want to see USA spots or clutter up your user frequency
then I would suggest that you set some filters up on your node
for your callsign as far as I know this can be done with all
cluster software in use today.

One persons garbage might be another's last needed country, state etc...

Of course you could do what I do most of the time in a contest - don't
turn the packet on in the first place - this saves you from all the trouble
and fuss.  It didn't seem to hurt the N2RM effort too much.

--

George Fremin III        "When a true genius appears in the world,
Johnson City, TX           you may know him by this sign; that the