[CQ-Contest] Buying a UPS

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Buying a UPS
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Mar 9 02:45:38 2002
At 07:17 AM 3/9/02 -0500, Gerry Treas wrote:
>There is something that hasn't been addressed.   Be sure
>that the UPS is always in the circuit, not one that gets
>switched in when AC mains fail.  That would be OK for
>lights, but not computers.  Working in TV (2 stations)
>corporate and local management do not want any failures, we
>are putting a bunch of smaller ones in to cover us while we
>plan the one that will be housed in a separate building to
>power our whole tech center and all the computer network
>servers.  Somewhere around 500 kVA to 750 kVA.  All have to
>be series type.

I think this is pretty much the design standard, at least for small
self-contained UPSes.

There are some amazing deals out there from time to time -- I got a new 300
VA APC UPS for $10 from Staples after a mail-in rebate.  It's not enough to
power everything computer related in the shack, but it supports my CPU
quite nicely.  Since installing it, I've never had an outage of more than
about 2 seconds, but I've had hundreds of the little glitches and dips that
would have caused my computer to reset otherwise.  It's very pleasing to
hear the UPS beeeeep and know that I've just dodged another bullet,
especially in the middle of a good run.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at