[CQ-Contest] Excessive power (in USA)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Excessive power (in USA)
From: w9wi@w9wi.com (Doug Smith W9WI)
Date: Fri Mar 15 09:43:30 2002
Well, that was interesting.

Got six responses in private email, only one went to the reflector.
(actually it was a copy of one of the six sent privately)

One other op had also never seen an excessively-large amp & didn't believe
any were in operation in his area.  However, others in the same area were
certain that such amps *were* in use.

Powers between 3 and 15 kilowatts were cited.  Several responses indicated
they knew of people running overpower but that those people weren't
contesters.  Some, however, did know of overpower contesters, past and/or
present.  Nobody admitted to using excessive power themselves...

Now I'm not concerned about amps capable of reasonable headroom.  Can you
make 2-2.5kw?  That's reasonable.  (of course, we expect that you actually
*operate* it at 1.5kw)  Similarly, something capable of 500-600w at an I or
G station where the legal limit is 300-400w is not a big deal.  To be
literal, there's really nothing wrong with having a 15kw amp as long as
you're letting it loaf at legal power.  (regulations may differ in your
country!)

Heck, I used an IC-765 in the QRP category in ARRL DX - it's capable of 20x
the legal power in that category - you have to take my word for it it was
cranked down to 5 watts..
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66