[CQ-Contest] Re: Linears in the closet

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Linears in the closet
From: kl7ra@blizzard.gcgo.nasa.gov (KL7RA)
Date: Tue Mar 19 13:02:59 2002

Rag writes:
>Peter, you are partly right. We have the same situation in a small country
>like Norway. If the country had been turned upside down the North Cape
>would have been in North-Africa

Here in this part of the world Italy is always louder then most other Europe
stations. They usually come crashing through any pile we may have. They
seem to have propagation to Alaska for 24 hours a day on 20 meters during
the good times. I have seen Paul, NL7V, who speaks Italian, work "I" stations
for hours on end here during the multi-op contests.

England seems to have the weakest path to this part of the world.

The other countries all have a few stations that seem to be louder then their
countrymen, contest after contest, as location and good antennas makes a big
difference no matter where you operate.

Italy has a lot of hams in a good area of the world for radio. They probably
have
more then their fair share of good near sea water locations. All this probably
makes contesting a little more fun which adds incentive to put up better
antennas,
etc. The "big" amp stories probably comes from the local internal battles among
those that need to be louder then anyone else. Same as we have here in the U.S.

73 Rich  KL7RA