[CQ-Contest] Team UAE & Phins

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Team UAE & Phins
From: n6tj@sbcglobal.net (James Neiger)
Date: Sun Apr 14 19:56:32 2002
The fact of the matter is:  hosting a successful WRTC today is big business.
And certainly not-for-profit.  Nor, apparently,  in some circles, for credit
or gratitude, either.

Of course, money talks. I seem to recall the initial Finnish budget was of
the order of $200,000, with one-half coming from a major commercial sponsor.
Not exactly pocket change for anyone.  Just where do all the purists  think
this money is coming from?

Perhaps any future WRTC's  will cost even more.  What's the chance of any of
these future events happening if potential host nations become so disgusted
with what the Finn's experienced, that they wouldn't touch it with a 10
meter dipole?

I have known quite a few of the OH contesters, well, for over 30 years.  A
MORE SERIOUS group of contesters you will not find.

We must (1) give them credit for even taking on the challenge of hosting
WRTC2002 (especially now in the post 9/11 era), and (2) assume they know
what they are doing.

If accepting "help" from any outside source, they believe to be the BEST way
to do it, why can't we simply stand back, and shut-up.  Unless we can offer
some concrete assistance to them.  More criticism, I'm sure, is what they
don't need.

If there ever is another WRTC, perhaps the financial help could come from
the formal formation of support organizations (kind of like the Political
Action Comittees in the USA), where EACH TWO MAN TEAM acquires sponsors, and
fund raising efforts, and the like, with 100% of the proceeds going to the
host WRTC Committee?

Jim Neiger
N6TJ