[CQ-Contest] Dodgy spotting 'witch-hunt'

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dodgy spotting 'witch-hunt'
From: jljarvis@adelphia.net (jljarvis)
Date: Fri Apr 19 14:14:05 2002
Folks,

While this may be a tiresome topic for some, I, for one,
would like to see some fact-based vision applied to the
process of rulemaking.  NS3T's data makes a giant step in
that regard.

As Zack/KI9A pointed out, Manny, Moe and Curley can spot legally
via Internet.  There are third-party message issues afoot when
those spots are absorbed into RF distribution systems, however.
(Here comes David Popkin!)

I can see a whole landscape of possible policy choices adopted by
contest sponsors, and packet system operators in response to this
situation.

Want to stop packet piracy and perceived cheating?
Make self-spotting legal, for any station allowed to use packet.

I have what I believe is an informed and reasoned justification
for this recommendation.  Short form: It's not a benefit,if
everyone can do it; it may reduce rates.  If in doubt, see K1AR's
column in the May CQ, reference N2RM.

Jim/N2EA