[CQ-Contest] A lot of strange BADs in UBN - actually not!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] A lot of strange BADs in UBN - actually not!
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Thu Apr 25 13:09:05 2002
The CQWWDX is definitely my favourite contest also because of the great job
that's behind, the accurate log checking and the respect I've for the huge
effort of the committee.
The weak point in the system is not the log checking procedure, the best
possible, but the fact that known that logs will be analyzed, a number of
logs are actually "revised" (i.e. QSO removed to fit with some rule) and
"corrected" (officially against so called typos, hi) before submission.
I've been told of logs fully rewised with tape recordings, but also
statistically, against databases of previous contests or cross checked with
several logs of the contest in object.
Stated that either behaviours aren't in the rules but exist, it probably
happens that many unique calls (I mean self found uniques) are statistically
corrected into a "most probable call" by many, choosing to correct the
"typo" into a call with higher recurrence in previous contests. Like this,
the same procedure used by many with similar databases, a fake but valid qso
will be created if that station didn't enter the contest at all, or the
"ex-unique" didn't send his log.
In the same way, stated that a removed qso isn't in the log, it's hard to
verify (or prove) that originally it was.

73,
Mauri I4JMY