[CQ-Contest] Contest Rules

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Rules
From: k4ww@arrl.net (Shelby Summerville)
Date: Sun Apr 28 13:37:16 2002
>From the "official" SS rules:
4.Exchange: The required exchange consists of:
4.1. A consecutive serial number;
4.2. Precedence;
4.2.1. "Q" for Single Op QRP (5 W output or less);
4.2.2. "A" for Single Op Low Power (up to 150 W output);
4.2.3. "B" for Single Op High Power (greater than 150 W output);
4.2.4. "U" for Single Op Unlimited;
4.2.5. "M" for Multi-Op;
4.2.6. "S" for School Club;
4.3. Your Callsign;
4.4. Check (the last two digits of the year you were first licensed);
4.5. ARRL/RAC Section
Example: WA4QQN would respond to W1AW's call by sending: W1AW 123 B WA4QQN
71 NC which indicates QSO number 123, B for Single Op High Power, WA4QQN,
first licensed in 1971, and in the North Carolina section.
4.6. With the exception of the serial number, which changes from QSO to QSO,
the exchange sent must remain consistent during the entire contest.
Usually many of a contest(s) rules are somewhat "open to interpretation"?
Many are quick to point out in another often discussed thread that "SO = one
(1) operator, regardless of the amount of equipment"? The wording of SS
rules, at least to me, leave no doubt of what an exchange should be? At no
place, within the "exchange" portion of the rules, do I find "send what you
care"? Several years ago the question of "check" came up while discussing a
m/o using W4CN (class of 27), and we were advised "that in a m/o, the check
should be that of the callsign being used"! IMHO, any proven, deliberate
deviation from the "official" rules should be grounds for disqualification?
I also notice that no one in an "official" capacity from ARRL has commented
on this ridiculous attempt at circumventing the posted rules, gives even
more reason to believe it is purely "a figment of someone's distorted
imagination"?
C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW