[CQ-Contest] Router/Firewall/Network/Internet spot problems?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Router/Firewall/Network/Internet spot problems?
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Sun Apr 28 20:27:34 2002
KQ2M wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I currently am using a Dell Win98 Ver 2 computer with a Motorola SB4100
>Cable Modem and Charter Pipeline - Cable Modem Internet access.  I am also
>using Zonealarm Pro Ver 2.6 as my firewall.
>
>My plan was to install a D-Link DI-704P router and then connect up my other
>Win98 Ver 2 computer in the shack (a Dell optiplex running on Win 98 Ver 2).
>
>I decided to "test" the router by first connecting it to the upstairs
>computer.
>
>I shut down Zonealarm Pro and then hooked up the router and went through the
>installation process.
>
>After it was installed, I noticed that I couldn't browse.  So I went to the
>Appendix and ran the "Ping" test on the gateway address - it passed the
>test.  But I still couldn't browse or receive e-mail.
>
>I called Charter - my cable/internet provider and was told that Zonealarm
>might be the culprit but I thought I remembered Zonealarm asking me about
>something and then asking for my password to change it.
>
>I suspect that the Router does work but I am not sure what is "blocking" the
>ability of the cable modem and the computer to talk with each other through
>the router.  I am hoping that someone out there has a Win98 computer with
>Zonealarm and the DLink DI-704p router and can tell me what I am missing.
>
>BTW, after removing the router and reinstalling the cable modem settings,
>everything works fine again.
>
>Any ideas please or suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

Your gateway address may now be your router, in which case the
ping test only tells you that your home network is working.

Ordinarily you must notify your cable co. of your new MAC address
(the router's MAC address). After you do that, connectivity to the
outside world will REQUIRE that you have the router in line.

Steve K8LX