[CQ-Contest] Bogus check

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Bogus check
From: ve4xt@mts.net (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Tue Apr 30 20:46:05 2002
Hi all,

Forgive me, but I fail to see what all the hand-wringing is about...

I've always sent my "real" check (82), but only because when I first did SS
(in 83), that's what seemed logical and I've seen no reason to change it
since.

But never have I believed that the contest police would be banging down my
door if I used something different. Nobody seems to complain about the name
lottery that takes place with every NAQP (except of course CT users
frustrated that Nostradamus won't fit in the field provided (fittingly, TR
users never complained (I don't know if NA users complained, but I think
they're a bit more laid back anyway (and I've never met one of them WriteLog
guys, but I think they're OK)))).

Anyway, I just hope that if you think this is the kind of issue that will
bring the contest world to its knees, you'll give your head a shake. It just
ain't that important. No significant advantage is obtained (I mean, if
WD4AHZ wishes to use 55, I'm not going to complain) over any advantage
obtained by using the same check every year (for the database users).

When I did SS from WB0O in 1998, I used his check (the real one). It only
made sense, particularly given the database guys. I think my fill rate would
have gone way up had I not.

Kelly
ve4xt