[CQ-Contest] Headset(S?) for contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Headset(S?) for contesting
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White)
Date: Tue May 21 11:19:38 2002
I agree with K3MM - the speakers in headphones designed for ham radio =
usage could be better.  I wonder if there is a source for low impedance =
speakers (for my Yaesu's) and doing a retrofit on my Heil Prosets would =
be an option....
My favorite cans were the Beyer ones well publicized in early issues of =
NCJ....my set is pretty much so hosed however and has all kinds of =
patches on it including a big piece of foam over the head held on with =
black tape...'

Is working with headphones like working with audio speakers where you =
have to be aware of the volume of the enclosure they are going into?  I =
know this is a science and you cannot just build a plywood box stick =
speakers in it and have it sound worth a hoot.  Is the size of the "can" =
they are in crucial to the performance of the speaker in a set of =
headphones...are those same forces at work?

Sometimes I suffer from irritated cranial displacement * (sore head from =
headphones) and as such keep a variety of cans near the operating =
position for swapping out - it is kind of like changing your chair =
during mid-contest...an ergonomic thing.

K4OJ

*  ICD, otherwise known as - "heah your ear looks stupid all smushed, =
dude!"  This never was a problem 30 years ago - of course my hair =
covered my ears up then!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---