[CQ-Contest] ISP for travelers

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ISP for travelers
From: tavan@tibco.com (Rick Tavan)
Date: Sat Jun 1 18:15:50 2002
I use "AT&T Global Network" to access my company through a virtual private
network.  In countries that AT&T serves, there are typically dozens or even
hundreds of local dial-in numbers; sometimes an 800-equivalent number. There
are hundreds of numbers in the US plus an 800 number. My company must pay extra
when I use the 800 and equivalent numbers. The dialer includes a self-updating
list of numbers for each country and US state; i.e., it is always close to
up-to-date. Unfortunatley, the numbers are listed alphabetically by city, so
the larger the country or state, the more geography you must know or learn in
order to find the best number quickly. Hotel desks are very helpful with this.
The service works well, with speeds varying from about 24000 to 54000 in the
venues I have tried (mainly
US and Europe). N.B. I use an IBM ThinkPad T20 with a rather good built-in
modem.  In some Caribbean islands AT&T is not represented and the best I can do
is call Florida. I don't know if this is the same AT&T service that is
available to individuals.

73,

/Rick N6XI