[CQ-Contest] Have Yourself a Little Pile-up Fun

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Have Yourself a Little Pile-up Fun
From: KG6DV@cs.com (KG6DV@cs.com)
Date: Tue Jun 4 18:07:37 2002
There have been several notes recently about the Dayton cw pileup results on
the  to the Kansas City DX Club web page.  If you look elsewhere on their
page you will find the sound files for the 1998 and 1999 pileup tests along
with the answer sheets.  I ran the files and  confirmed what I had know for
some time, I suck as a potential world class cw op.  There are some features
of the sound files that play into my weaknesses.  The selective filters in my
head will sync on a certain tone frequency. Once I have copied the call at
that tone I try to mentally lock onto another caller at another tone, doesnt
work, the original preferred tone distracts me.  If the sound file came
complete with a rit I would do much better.  On the first listen I could not
copy more than 38 callsigns from either file.  The list of scores for these
years is also available on the web site and its a lot of fun to compare and
find out just how bad or good you really are.  In my case it was good to
dissolve the illusion.

The potential fun is limited by the fact that the only files listed are those
from 98 and 99.  Maybe the KCDXC can locate the sound files from previous
years and provide us with some additional fun.  If you have never been to
Dayton or have never participated in the pileup test, this may tell you to
either avoid the embarrassment, practice more, or to make a reservation now
for next year.  Log onto the KCDXC web site and have a run at it, beats
sitting around waiting for the next contest.

Aloha
Ron KH6DV (sometimes KH6VV)

multipart/alternative
  text/html