[CQ-Contest] Field Day and please copy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Field Day and please copy
From: al_lorona@agilent.com (al_lorona@agilent.com)
Date: Wed Jun 26 14:09:04 2002
I have poked fun at myself for years for using "Please copy" in contests. I
know I shouldn't, but I can't help myself. I think it goes back to my
hometraining; I can still hear my mother telling me to say "Please," and "Thank
you," for practically every social situation.

But really, "Please copy" is so much more friendly, more social, and, more
importantly, a more effective attention-getting signal than an abrupt
"Thirty-seven alpha Sacramento Valley." What, no "QSL", no "Roger", not even a
"Thanks" preceding the exchange? "Please copy" is a very efficient way of
saying, "Pick up your pencil and turn on the DSP or whatever you have to do;
here comes my exchange. You ready?"

I have resisted the pressure to become less human and more robotic, especially
during Field Day when new hams and the public are listening in such greater
numbers than during any other time. "Please copy" is my little tiny way of
making the scary a little bit less scary.

After September 11, a lot was written in the press about how people had become,
at least for the moment, a little bit nicer to each other in the enormity and
the shock of what had happened, not only in New York, but everywhere else in
the country. People honked their horns just a little bit less, and said "Hello"
just a little bit more. In a real real, you know, nationwide emergency, I bet
you that hearing an occasional "Please copy" is going to give you a slightly
more reassuring feeling as you pass traffic that is largely depressing and
terrifying.

You guys sometimes make a mountain out of a molehill!

W6LX said that.