[CQ-Contest] Plea for help re: headphones

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Plea for help re: headphones
From: Timothy.Urban@wc.ey.com (Timothy.Urban@wc.ey.com)
Date: Mon Jul 8 12:51:38 2002
Recently bought a set of the Bose Noise Reducing headphones for contesting
based upon positive comments in the list archives.

While they do zero out a huge amount of transceiver fan noise and computer
whine, I have encountered two serious problems and am desperate for your
suggestions.

Rig = FT 1000 MK 5 + coax feed (incl. a coax rf choke and a w2du type
current balun) + wire ocfd.  Runs up to 200 w rf at swr < 1.5 to 1 using
rig's built in tuner.

Problem 1:  Bose headphones pick up a cw transmit (rf?) thump - slight on
the Low NR setting of the phones, huge on the High NR setting on the
phones.  Added 8 turns of the headphone cable thru a snap together MFJ
torroid - didn't help.  Intensity of thump varies band to band.

        Reducing the power setting on the rig helps, but is not a viable
solution  :).

        My goal would be to be able to use the phones on the high NR
setting - it seems to provide valuable audio gain.  Operating with the low
                setting seems like running the rig with the attenuator on.

Problem 2:  SSB:  Transmitting voice on ssb with the rig's "monitor"
feature, using the stock Yaesu hand mike, creates ungodly feedback.

Thanks for any ideas - hope I don't have to give these things back

Tim
N5IIT
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.
Thank you.  Ernst & Young LLP

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---