[CQ-Contest] Re: 4-square vs 40-2CD

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: 4-square vs 40-2CD
From: nt5c@texas.net (John Warren)
Date: Tue Jul 9 08:15:03 2002
Paul W8AEF wrote:

>My 4 squares have elevated radials and I have a feeling that they are
>between a 2 element and a 3 element yagi.

In theory, a 4-square is sort of equivalent to a vertically polarized
3-el Yagi.  The two corner verticals driven in parallel are a
"distributed" driven element. The other two verticals are a director
and reflector respectively. Obviously that's subject to all the usual
disclaimers about how well the 4-square is made, especially how good
the "ground" is under each element.

Most articles I've read agree with Paul. The end result of a well
implemented 4-square seems usually to be just a bit better for DX
than a 2-el Yagi. So on 40M I'll stick with my much-loved 40-2CD, but
on 80/160....!!

John, NT5C.