[CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Unsportsmanlike Conduct
From: w9wi@w9wi.com (Doug Smith W9WI)
Date: Sat Jul 13 21:53:10 2002
I'm sure most of us have encountered something we'd call cheating as we
contest.  What I observed this evening was the most blatant example I've
ever experienced.

0059z on 14077.3.  I'm CQing, running Europeans and W's.

LZ7H calls, about S2.  I send him "5NN 8".  He gets out "R 5N..", then..

"CQ TEST LZ7T LZ7T LZ7T LZ7T..." (I didn't count how many times he signed
but it was at least five)  S8-S9.

I send "LZ7T QRX LZ7H NR ?".  And LZ7T jams him again.

After three tries I finally hear LZ7H well enough to verify he's sending the
same zone the computer is suggesting.  I log the QSO and send "TU W9WI
TEST".

And never hear from LZ7T again.  (i.e., he was jamming LZ7H, not me)

If I were LZ7H I would have probably would have QSYd to 11 meters where
people are better-behaved.  Unfortunately I have no quick way of recording
signals during a contest, or a recording would already be on the way to
Newington.

I'm curious, did anyone else who worked LZ7H notice similar behavior?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66