[CQ-Contest] Why IARU?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why IARU?
From: wk6i@twistedoak.com (Jeff Stai WK6I)
Date: Thu Jul 18 09:13:29 2002
At 07:24 AM 7/18/2002, Mark Beckwith wrote:
>I admit it might not have been clear, but my question was not "why does it
>need to be wedded to a contest," but why, specifically, the *IARU*?
>
>The IARU Radiosport is certainly not the contest with the greatest
>participation.

Two reactions:

1. Why make it so easy for WRTC to find stations? (I have no personal
knowledge to back this up, but I expect fishing contests do not take place
in a heavily stocked lake...;-)

2. There was plenty of participation this year - I played S&P this year and
never lacked for stations to work (until nightfall, when my inadequate low
band antennas let me down). I'll note that the 'dual mode' nature of IARU
effectively 'doubles' the bands available to play in....

73! - jeff wk6i

Jeff Stai       Twisted Oak Winery LLC
Email           jds@twistedoak.com
Amateur Radio   WK6I