[CQ-Contest] WRTC glitches

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC glitches
From: k5zd@charter.net (Randy Thompson, K5ZD)
Date: Fri Jul 19 04:35:29 2002
It is difficult to get logging software perfect for a contest that only
occurs every 2, 4, or 6 years and has different rules each time!  N6TR,
K1EA, and W5XD (+SM6SRW) all did extra work to support WRTC.  All
competitors were able to successfully log the contest!

What is interesting (and unexpected to me) is all the discussion about
logging software and scoring that has been generated.  All of it due to the
online score reporting during the contest!  I think we all know how funny
things that impact the score can get into a log during the contest and are
usually repaired before the log is submitted.  With the WRTC online
reporting experiment, we got to see just how wildly varying some of these
things can be!

They do nothing to detract from the contest.  They do point out some things
that could be further improved for future online score reporting
experiments.

The goal of the online reporting was to make the contest more visible to
everyone.  In that regard, it was every bit as successful as had been hoped.
Give OH6KN and his team a pat on the back for pulling it off.  It was fun.

Randy, K5ZD