[CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither
From: wn3vaw@fyi.net (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
Date: Fri Jul 19 18:55:27 2002
I was just informed of the recent response to my earlier post.  Good thing I
went on-line to see it (I normally only get the digest), although the nature
of that reply is sad.

Since a personal, ah, response like that does not belong on the list but
should be handled direct, let me reply generically since there is some
mis-interpretation of my motive here:

I'm not saying that the quote is neccesarily wrong or inaccurate.  Yeah, it
looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but that doesn't neccesarily mean
it's a duck (it could be a silly rabbit in disguise).  For that reason, and
considering the responses on it to date, I went looking for it -- and
couldn't find it.

Could I have missed it?  Sure.  That's one of the reasons I asked.  But the
thing is, if you look at the news items on the ARRL Web Site, you'll notice
that most or all of the news items there end up in the weekly ARRL Letter in
some form or another.   And you'd think something like this would qualify as
a news item, wouldn't it?

I've also noticed only the original post from K4JRB actually quotes from
this alleged meeting.  Everyone else is replying to it.  This is NOT, again,
to say that Dave is wrong -- far from it.  But just because a lot of replies
included the original post is hardly the same thing as a bunch of us saying
"yeah, I read that too!"

My point originally was simply to FIND the original comments that Dave was
quoting from IN CONTEXT.  Then evaluate the information and make up my own
mind.  Otherwise we're dealing with information that is no more reliable
than another internet or urban myth.

So am I now to understand that if I don't agree with the vocal minority I'm
presumed to be against them?  That's sad.

The key four questions were never answered:  Who said it, who heard it, what
exactly was said, and when.  Instead, I got slammed for raising them.  That
alone says quite a lot, but let it rest.  Suffice to say that if the biggest
argument that was made was criticizing my signature line... really.
Although this suddenly makes another one more relevant for the moment.

Does anyone know the facts, or are we just reacting to a tall tale?

73, ron wn3vaw

"What's wrong with being an angry prophet denouncing the hypocrisies of our
time?"  --  Howard Beale