[CQ-Contest] WRTC vs. IARU

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC vs. IARU
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jul 20 06:06:30 2002
In a message dated Fri, 19 Jul 2002 3:18:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
n3bb@mindspring.com writes:

> >Why does the WRTC need to be wedded to the IARU Radiosport?

    Hmm, I think the answer is very simple. The original WRTC was held in
conjuction with the Goodwill Games which was held in Seattle in July, 1990.
That was the only window of opportunity that could have allowed the Russian
guys to attend. We on the organizing committee approached the ITU for some sort
of special multiplier status but they weren't interested. So then we decided to
have a separate contest which was very problematic because we were giving a
party and didn't know if anyone would show up. Fortunately people came and it
all turned out great.

    The current WRTC events perhap are more historically tied to a July
timeframe from the beginning and coincidentally the IARU test fits the bill
from a WRTC standpoint.

    I have to chuckle about the previously posted analytical comments of 'why
the IARU' because originally we didn't consider them - we just made it up as we
went along!

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
WRTC Seattle Co-Chairman