[CQ-Contest] moving onward

Subject: [CQ-Contest] moving onward
From: discreetly_confidential@yahoo.com (Chuck)
Date: Tue Jul 23 11:43:20 2002
Greetings!

As W3PP wrote... let's get back to contesting and
topics surrounding that topic. Getting more
people into contesting always reigns high on the
list of items discussed. The ARRL has acted,
reality is what it is. Let us accept it and move
onward.

For myself.. the question NOW is.. HOW do we as
active/interested (dare I say 'addicted')
contest types get the newbies into what we do?

Let me offer a short hand saying 'Each One.. Win
One!'

Every one of us has friends who are hams OR know
about what we do but don't contest or even know
what it really is.

They MAY know about the overview.. They MAY know
you as the guy who spends his weekends behind
the radio chasing contacts.

BUT.. Do they KNOW what it is that you like
about it? Do they KNOW what it is about
contesting
that lights your fuse and makes you expend the
hours/dollars in pursuit of the goals? Do they
KNOW how contesting can benefit THEM in their
amateur radio pursuits - be it emergency
communications, public service, enjoying
ragchewing on the HF bands, chasing DX?

If you visit a Club.. talk about the SIZZLE of
contesting.. not the boring (to others) stuff.
Sell the buzz.. the sizzle.. dangle some bait.
Your passion adn enthusiasm will come out
and you will attract folks.

Take those who rise to the 'bait' and offer to
show them more.. Treat it like big-game fish
fishing.  If you have an eyeball wiht someone..
lay some 'bait' out and see if they nibble.

Regardless.. work on getting just one person
interested in coming to see. IF 10% of the
active contesters did this.. we'd have a sizable
increase. Success begets success.

The resources are out there. The Contest groups
are there.

Onward!

73

Chuck K3FT

not to sound to RAH-RAH.. but that's how I got
introduced to contesting. I'm an average type ham
when it comes to things - interested but need
someone to help me see the 'zing' and excite me
to want to come and see.  Did it work?  Ask W3PP
and WR3L. They both KNOW what the results of THAT
exposure lead to! <grin>