[CQ-Contest] Why not complain about CQ also?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why not complain about CQ also?
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Wed Jul 24 19:59:52 2002
Yes, but I take CQ's changes personally -- I was one of the operators at
#1 M/S Canadian station VY2SS... Yet nobody would know that
without reading the web :-)

My comment about CQ was just to stir the pot... This reflector
provides great comedy in the off-contest season!

I have three points:

 - I am not a member of ARRL because of QST.  I am a member of
   ARRL because we need a strong national voice for Amateur Radio.
   ARRL, like it or not, is that organization.  If another viable
   organization existed, then I might consider that.  <5% of QST
   is of interest to me each month -- CQ, maybe 7%.  QEX, 100%.

 - CQ should be MORE responsive to complaints, if there are any.
   That's because we can vote with our pocketbooks.  No politics
   involved -- just don't subscribe.  In the QST/ARRL scenario, if we
   vote with our pocketbooks, amateur radio is in deep do-do.  So,
   we vote by electing the people we want on the board -- and then they
   do what they want anyway :-).  Best way to change ARRL is to get
   involved, rather than BSing on email reflectors.

 - Contests will still be a lot of fun, and be very competitive, and
   be a great aspect of amateur radio, no matter where the results are
   published, and by whom.

73,

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM