[CQ-Contest] New DTA databases, your help needed

Subject: [CQ-Contest] New DTA databases, your help needed
From: k9tm@buckeye-express.com (k9tm)
Date: Thu Aug 1 22:07:08 2002
Hello

Last year K8CC and I (K9TM) took over the generation of the callsign
databases used by most of the popular contest logging packages (you may
know the file as master.dta or the feature as super-check partial).  Due
to transition items, translation problems on my end, the databases
barely made it out in time for CQ WW last year.  However, all reports
have been favorable on the accuracy of the database.  This year I have
all the tools ready and can turn the crank pretty quickly.

The goal this year is to get them out by Oct 1.  The major factor this
year is in receiving logs as I have already created the tools.

Regardless of deadlines, we need your help.  All you have to do is get
together your logs and send them to us (see info at the bottom of this
note for details).  Since people interested in the databases are using a
computer and since most of you submit your logs in cabrillo format
anyway... we are only accepting cabrillo logs. (In the past the tools to
generate the databases were based on CT BIN files and as a result, input
was by CT BIN files.  Last year I created new tools to work from
cabrillo files.)

The more logs we get, the more calls we can extract and the better the
final result.  So all you Multi-Multi's out there (we know you use
super-check partial :-) ) and anyone who wants to help (especially those
who use the database) please submit your logs.

We promise that your log(s) will not be shared with anyone.  We will not
use your log for any purpose other than to extract callsigns for the
database project.

Updated databases are available @ http://www.datomonline.com.

To help out please do the following:
1) Name your files using your call.  Something like K9TM1.LOG,
K9TM2.LOG.
 Please do not name your files like 01SSCW.LOG! You only have to rename
a couple of files... I potentially have to do thousands (ok wishful
thinking, probably only hundreds).

2) Send the files as attachments to the email.

3) Please do not zip or otherwise compress the files.

4) It would also help if you could please make your subject line "[DTA]
your_callsign", for example Subject: [DTA] K9TM.  Just like subject
lines from reflectors.  This will allow me to sort the responses from my
normal mail.

5) Send the logs to: k9tm@buckeye-express.com.

If you would like to send your logs throughout the year rather than this
batch method, that is OK with me.  If enough people do this, I wouldn't
have any problem making updates available more often.

If there are any questions regarding the databases, please direct them
to me (K9TM).  We look forward to receiving many logs and putting
together the updated databases.

Thanks & 73s,
  The master.dta team
  Tim K9TM