[CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW or SSB FCC says neither.
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Tue Aug 6 10:10:42 2002
On 8/5/02 8:57, Pete Smith at n4zr@contesting.com wrote:

>I think Bill missed my point, probably because I could have put that more
>precisely.  There are no CW sub-bands, but the phone sub-bands protect CW
>from phone QRM.

It's not true, Pete. The "phone" subbands actually separate analog
modulation (voice, fax, television), from "digital" subbands (RTTY,
Packet, etc). CW is permitted everywhere. CW operators can choose any
frequency that is free of QRM, regardless of mode.

> I worry that the FCC will succumb to pressure to expand
>the phone sub-bands to cover more and more spectrum now effectively set
>aside for CW and digital modes.

Again -- the same error. There is no spectrum "set aside" for CW on HF.
All frequencies are allowed for CW.

Indeed, it would appear, from the comment made by the FCC official that
further expansion of analog modes is less likely. After all, if amatuers
start emphasizing more digital modes, then the increased demand of these
frequencies would support the digital subbands, not caused them to be
decreased.

>  Digital devotees should realize that the
>existing phone sub-bands now protect them, too.

Uh, it's vice versa. CW devotees should realise their best allies against
"phone QRM" are digital devotees.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901