[CQ-Contest] CW/SSB/PSK31...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW/SSB/PSK31...
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue Aug 6 15:31:24 2002
On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:42:46 -0700 (PDT), Chuck wrote:

>CW/SSB operations (without intervening
>decisionmaking technology involved) INHERENTLY
>make the human being an integral part of the
>equation. You CAN'T do it without the human
>being.

True of course, but still beside point for me.  What we are doing
is using RADIO for communication.  If you want real human
involvement in your communications, go talk to the neighbor over
the back fence.  That far exceeds anything you can do with radio.

I'm trying to point out that we have a technically-oriented
hobby.  Nobody gets their license because they want to improve
their people skills.  For some operators just picking up a mike
or key is enough.  For others, they become fascinated by the
technical details and pursue their interests to a fare-thee-well.
I'd guess I'm about halfway up the curve.  I have a lot invested
in my station (time and money), but it pales beside what some of
the EME guys do.  Or the very top contesters and DXers.

IMO, we are engaged in a technical hobby.  The human interchange
is fun but secondary, and not the real driving force.  YMMV and
probably does, but that's how I see it.

73, Bill W7TI