"Power supplies" was: [CQ-Contest] Small rig - Summary

Subject: "Power supplies" was: [CQ-Contest] Small rig - Summary
From: W1HIJCW@aol.com (W1HIJCW@aol.com)
Date: Sat Aug 17 00:04:45 2002
In a message dated 08/16/02 11:45:23 Pacific Daylight Time,
k4xu@bendcable.com writes:

> Now all we need is some of those small 20+A switchmode supplies, and we're
> ready to fly. Anyone want to offer opinions of these?   Alinco, Astron,
> MFJ...?

Here's my $.02 worth. I've had a SAMLEX SEC1223 (20A continuous, 23A ICS) for
almost 3 years. It probably has 1000 hours on it because for a couple of
years I used it to run my FT990 at home and it was turned on 24/7. A couple
of years ago, it was relegated to being the traveling power supply
accompanying the 990 for trips after I acquired my FT1000D. Most recent
contest uses were FDin PR thus year as NP4A where it ran the GOTA station,
and CQ WPX CW 2001 as FO8DX. In the latter case it ran on 220V (well actually
240V) from a generator.

I have nothing but praise for the unit. It's never let me down, even when it
was literally too hot to touch. (High temperatures, high humidity and a high
duty cycle in French Polynesia will do that).

Some RF noise, but above 40M it's tolerable being some 30 to 40 dB down from
the usual signals.

And the best part, it's the cheapest of the bunch at a street price of $99.95

73 de Bill, W1HIJ/6 (aka FO0SCH, FO8DX, NP4A)

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---