[CQ-Contest] Re: What Is a Contact?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: What Is a Contact?
From: ua9cdc@r66.ru (Igor Sokolov)
Date: Wed Aug 21 00:08:13 2002
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>

> But if you intend to be efficient about S&Ping, you should NOT be sitting
> there long enough to get frustrated by his lack of IDs! Tune on, come back
> later, dial him into a Quick Memory, plot him on your bandmap. BUT KEEP
> WORKING STATIONS. Contests (like life) are too short to get your coax in a
> knot over stuff like this. It only hurts your rate. If you can't work him
> because he doesn't identify enough, DON'T! Don't let something like this
let
> you take your eye off the ball. Chances are by the time he does ID, he'll
> just end up being the umpteenth zone 13 station you've worked anyway..

My attitude is exactly the same. I either skip working the station that does
not ID or just call him and when/if he comes back give him 59001 and ask him
his call sign.
That cost him few extra seconds to give the call sign and few more to make
sure I got it. If I do not get the call sign he is not in my log and will
loose points for two more QSO. If he does not meet my demand for his call
sign and does not put me into his log - he has still lost  some valuable
time. It always works well. If every third station  that gets through starts
asking his call he quickly gets the message.

> The worst thing you can do is be one of the loudmouth louts who yells
> "WHAT'S YOUR CALL?" You're just interfering with those who already CAN
work
> the guy, and the law is quite clear on the legality of premeditated
> interference. These folks are also hypocrites of the highest order, since
> they don't include their callsign in their missive. Perhaps we need a rule
> about that, too.

Absolutely...
73, Igor UA9CDC